The finished product!
This was a huge learning experience for me. I tried a lot of new techniques and styles in this project, as demonstrated above. The goal of skeumorphism meant more time spent in getting lighting and angles correct. I think I managed to do this in quite a few areas. Things like knobs, switches, faders, and the wood paneling are where I spent a lot of time trying to add realism to the project.
I'm extremely pleased with the small details, like the 'on-off' switches, for example. There were so many little components to consider, so it was hard to include everything that I wanted, but I think what I narrowed it down to would be reasonably functional.
Some major changes that I felt needed to happen:
- Moving the envelopers to a more obvious spot
- Moving the tuning section towards the middle and making big, intuitive buttons for things like Voices, Pitch tuning, and transposing. (These were all really subtle in the previous version of the EXS24)
- Adding an effects section
- Adding a waveform visualizer
- Removing all the awkward sliders and weird knobs
Overall, I think this is an improvement on the current EXS24. It's reminiscent of a vintage synthesizer. It's very hands-on, with big knobs and buttons that all react with obvious effects to the tone being produced.